Monday, December 17, 2007
Are We Ashamed?
I'm slowly catching up. I read 1 Ne. 8 and 9 today. Lehi's vision of the tree of life. Of all the things I could have taken from this chapter the biggest thing that stood out to me this morning was 8:25, "And after they had partaken of the fruit of the tree they did cast their eyes about as if they were ashamed (italics added)." Ashamed? Huh? Of what? So I actually took a few minutes to look up the footnotes associated with the word and it shed some further light and knowledge on the subject. At first I thought, "how silly to be ashamed", but the more I thought about it the more I realized that perhaps I am somewhat ashamed of the gosple. Not in my heart, and not in my thoughts, but do my actions always depict fearlessness? I know that when I pray I like to be totally alone. Mostly to eliminate noise and other distractions, but if I'm honest it's partly because I don't want to be seen. Why shouldn't I allow my children, or even my husband, to see me practicing my faith? I have a tendency to shy away from gosple discussion as well. Partly for fear of being wrong or looking dumb, partly for fear of giving offense. I think of a conversation I had a month or so ago with my inactive neighbor. They're good people who like the church. They hold callings and come to ward activities, but they don't come on Sundays, haven't been to the temple, and struggle with some other things. She was talking to me about how she hopes to be ready in time for her husband to be able to baptized their now four year-old, and she went on to talk about tithing and how it just isn't possible for them. It was a wonderful opportunity to bear my testimoney and share my feelings about it, but I know the response I gave was less than adequate and kind of side stepped the real issue. I was afraid, and now I'll have to live with that lost opportunity. So, in what ways do we find ourselves ashamed of the gosple, and what can we do to fix it? I pray that we can all be more fearless like Lehi and Nephi.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment