Tuesday, December 11, 2007

1 Nephi Chapter 1

Okay, so I'm way behind in the scheduled reading. I've been setting my alarm to get up and read for weeks and I finally dragged myself out of bed this morning. However, Stuart and I read together in the evenings and we're ahead of schedule, so if you take averages I'm doing pretty good :) Some thoughts came to me as I was reading this morning. In 1 Ne. 1:1, Nephi says that he was "taught somewhat in all the learning of my father..." It came to my mind that I expect a lot of my children. I expect them to do things the right way and make the right choices all the time, but have I really given them the tools they need, both spiritual and secular, to do that? It was a reminder to me that my children need to be shown through example, and taught by words (preferably gentle words) what to do and how to act. And this applies to everything. They can't be expected to know how to properly clean up a mess, or do their homework if they have not been shown how. They can't know how to follow the promptings of the spirit and make good choices if they have not been instructed how. The other impression I got this morning came out of 1 Ne. 1:7-8. After Lehi had been praying and been privy to visions in one place (it doesn't specify where, or if it does I'm missing it), he returned home and was once again carried away by the spirit to be further instructed. For this to happen the home of Lehi and Sariah must have been a place where the spirit could dwell. Making my home a place where the spirit feels welcome is something we as a family need to work on. There are times (most days between the hour of after school and bedtime) when we don't make it five minutes without some kind of yelling or arguing. I'm not expecting visions, but I know that if we could just change those habits that there would be greater contentment and peace in our home. I know that then there would be greater opportunity to receive inspiration and guidance from the spirit in all matters of life, both spiritual and secular.

No comments: